Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What!? I'm judging the 2012 CA Ad Annual!?


For some reason I have yet to discover, the editors at Communications Arts magazine invited me to judge their prestigious Advertising Annual competition.  I'm trying to be cool about it, but I truly feel thrilled and honored.  The judging has now begun, and the first two categories -- radio and web banners -- were judged at my office.  In the case of radio, they sent a CD.  For web banners, they sent a series of links.  Here are a few nuggets of feedback:

1)  The radio category had only about 65 entries total.  Apparently a lot of people realize it will be tough to win and therefore pre-judge themselves out of competing.  I was rather surprised about that total.  I had been expecting closer to 200-300 radio entries. 

2)  Most radio entries did not take advantage of the "theater of the mind."  Sad fact.  Many were corny or "under-produced."  Most did not feature new concepts or approaches.  A few possessed genuine surprise and delight value.  There was a couple of nationally known radio campaigns that showed well.  And one not so well-known national advertiser  with a campaign that really slapped me in the face.  I played the campaign a handful of times because I enjoyed it so much.

3)  The web banner category is actually mis-titled in my opinion.  Any advertising that appears on the web goes into that category.  That made judging difficult because you would see a classic html banner, and then view a four-minute mini-movie with incredible production value.  Be forewarned -- if you are entering a banner in this category, it will be very difficult to win.  There were some page takeovers that were rather innovative, however, and competed, from a conceptual standpoint, with the big-budget pre-roll and YouTube videos.

4)  As with the radio campaign, there weren't an overwhelming number of entries -- probably about 75.

Obviously, I can't be any more specific than that.  And when I visit CA headquarters later this month to complete the judging, it should be very interesting to experience the process, and assess whether politics or favoritism plays a big role.  By the way, I'm not allowed to vote on our Richter7 work.  Understandable.  Still, I hope a number of other judges will see fit to give it an "in" vote.

3 comments:

David said...

Congrats, Dave! Looking forward to hearing about the experience.

Cynthia said...

Hooray for new posts! And congrats on being asked to judge. I wish I knew more of the ad language lingo so I understood more of what you were judging!

Laney said...

Oh, stop being humble. Of course they asked you to judge! :) It was interesting to hear your thoughts on the entries!