Wednesday, May 13, 2009

How Not To Do Hawaii


The business trip began with a six and a half hour stamina test on a germ-filled jet with less than ample legroom. I arrived in Honolulu, having added four hours to my day, and immediately hit H-1 traffic as fierce as I find in rush hour on I-15. That shouldn't be the case in laid-back Hawaii, should it?

Upon arriving on the North Shore, I checked into what is lovingly referred to as The Roach Motel. No explanation needed. I then spent the next eight hours, until four in the morning Utah time, reviewing the client's new night show -- in order to write knowledgeably about it for upcoming ads. Long day.

The following day was spent in meetings, in a well-chilled conference room without windows. I then departed for my red-eye flight home, losing four hours of sleep in the process. It's not the way to see Hawaii. Nevertheless, there are far worse places to have a client. (For example, I once had a client in Parowan, Utah -- 180 degrees from Waikiki.) On the road back to the airport, I was able to pause and make use of my iPhone photo capability. So all was not lost, as the following photos will verify. The visit was on behalf of the Polynesian Cultural Center, a Richter7 client since the late 90's. Hence, over the years I've had plenty of chances to enjoy Hawaii the way is should be enjoyed. This particular trip was payback for those previous pleasant excursions.







1 comment:

Laney said...

Yuck, that really does sound horrible. Especially spending the whole time in either the Laie Inn or an air conditioned room with no windows.