Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What the Tour Guide Taught Me

The old man had crooked teeth, well-worn sneakers, Coke-bottle glasses and wore a Red Sox hat. He was our group’s tour guide during a visit to Boston’s Fenway Park last weekend. The sight of him made me want to go to sleep. Or leave (especially since I’m a Yankees fan). Ahh, but looks can be deceiving.

Once the old guy began sermonizing as he led us through every corner of the famed, old baseball stadium, we were mesmerized. He spouted fascinating fact after fascinating fact. He laced his commentary with joke after joke. Very good jokes, actually. He dared to make fun of the Red Sox, as well as the Yankees. He dared to make fun of us westerners and our “foreign” accents. He was a ball of fire – lively, quick-witted and self-deprecating. He wasn’t a tour guide, he was an entertainer. It was very apparent he enjoyed his work.

And that point is the crux of my thought. I wondered if I showed enthusiasm and love for my work the way he did. I wondered if it was apparent to clients that I thoroughly enjoy advertising, the way my BoSox buddy enjoyed giving tours. Someone once asked Lavell Edwards if he was happy. He replied, “All the time, I just forget to tell my face.” Not good. Your face is a crucial communication tool.

I believe clients want to work with people who exhibit joy in their profession, who are excited over the prospect of creating an ad, preparing a strategy, planning media, etc. I’m not saying we have to paint on smiles. But hopefully we stop to remember why we got into this business, why we still enjoy it, and then cherish the successes, victories and fun experiences.

There’s a line about Michelangelo in The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone. I enjoy it so much it’s taped to my wall. It reads: “Michelangelo lay awake, his hands locked behind his head. He could think of no difference between ‘life is to be enjoyed’ and ‘life is work.’ He fell asleep with a smile on his lips.”

2 comments:

Laney said...

Hey - You started a blog!? Very fun. Did I inspire you?

Gail said...

OK already, I went to your blog, all right?! :)